The Project: “Children’s Bodily Autonomy” Training of Trainers
Project Term: January – July 2019
As the Association for Struggle Against Sexual Violence, we emphasize that sexual abuse of children is a preventable problem and we all have responsibility in combating it. The issue of sexual abuse of children should be discussed with parents, healthcare providers, and adults from all over the different parts of society because we believe adopting a single-sided approach focused on educating children only would be inadequate in preventing abuse. We started a new journey with this mindset in March 2018, and introduced the campaign titled ‘Do not Silence Children, Combat Sexual Abuse’ led by the Şişli Municipality Social Equality Unit. The campaign set an example for local authorities to take protective and preventive measures for combating sexual abuse of children. As part of the campaign we organized awareness raising seminars and full day trainings for municipality workers throughout 2018.
There was a strong demand from Istanbul and around Turkey following the campaign, therefore we decided to develop a training of trainers’ model that can be delivered from adults to adults and adopts an approach focusing on children’s rights to bodily autonomy, privacy and participation. With the Children’s Bodily Autonomy Training of Trainers Project, which is supported by the Support Foundation for Civil Society, we aim to organize two trainings of trainers for three days each, with the partnership of Şişli Municipality once more, and disseminate a societal approach which defines, recognizes and respects children’s bodily autonomy.
The Main Topics of the Training
- The Dominant Perception of and Approach Towards Children in the Society
- Children’s Rights and Participation
- Children’s Bodily Autonomy and Consent for Children
- The Definition and Different Types of Sexual Abuse of Children
- Wrongs Known as Right in Sexual Abuse of Children
- Protective-Preventive Approach and Best Practices
- Recognizing Sexual Abuse and Intervention Strategies
- Responsibilities of Adults in Combating Sexual Abuse of Children
- Obligation of Notification and the Legal Aspect
- Materials and Recommendations for Adult Seminars
GOALS OF THE PROJECT
- To produce a training of trainers program for psychological counsellors at schools, educators, children’s workers and experts of profession, addressing topics such as perception and participation of children, children’s bodily autonomy, protective-preventive approach towards sexual abuse.
- To promote change in the participants’ behavior in issues related to the perception of children, approach to the concept of assault and prevention of abuse, all which require adult responsibility.
- To support the educators and experts of profession, parents, teachers and adults who work with children with the relevant approach, equipment and materials so that they can organize informative and awareness raising seminars.
- To contribute to the dissemination of a societal approach which defines, recognizes and respects children’s bodily autonomy, with the trainings and seminars organized by the trainers who participate in the training.
- To strengthen the capacity and solidarity network of the educators and experts of profession who participate in the training of trainers around the issue of legal responsibilities and approach to children after an incident of children sexual abuse.
- To encourage educators and experts of profession who participate in the training to implement an abuse prevention plan in their institutions, one which respects the child body.
- To produce online and offline resources based on the project experience that other educators and experts of profession in the field can use.
PROPOSED OUTPUTS OF THE PROJECT
- 40 new trainers who can organize informative and awareness raising trainings and seminars for parents, teachers and adults working with children, and has access to the relevant approach, equipment and materials
- 20 new trainings or seminars that will be run by the participants after the training of trainers
- 300 adults that will be reached via 20 new trainings or seminars
- A guidebook for all educators and experts of profession to use which will present a “protective-preventive approach towards sexual abuse of children”
- A training of trainers module to be disseminated in different local authorities and cities that will cover issues such as the perception and participation of children, children’s bodily autonomy, protective-preventive approach to child sexual abuse
Coordination: Nurgül Öztürk
Content Development and Implementation: Nurgül Öztürk, Ceren Suntekin
Visual Design: Ceren Suntekin, Özge Özgüner
* This project is supported by the Support Foundation for Civil Society’s Children’s Fund. The views expressed here are solely those of Association for Struggle Against Sexual Violence and therefore do not in any way represent the views of Support Foundation for Civil Society.
** Thanks to Hilal Tekmen for translation.
This post is also available in: Turkish